Friday 4 July 2014

Intermezzo d'Estate : A Summer Interlude

It's been a while. Feels like ages, when in reality it's just been 3 months.

Three long, long months. A lot has changed since then.

For one, I finally am done with college and I've graduated. In hindsight it seems like a very meh thing, but it was something I had been anticipating for years. Now when I look back I barely remember my college days. It's odd, but I'm not questioning it for now.

Another thing is that I've fallen head over heels in love with Chinese language and the classical history and culture. The Sinitic world is one of the most culturally resistant parts of the world and has retained many aspects that make them stand out culturally, for example the Tao, Chinese characters. Confucian ethics. The modern country of China is also becoming increasingly more relevant, and the language is a fascinating one. Then, you have regional variations of Chinese, which makes me draw parallels of the Arab world and Indo Aryan/European languages. But that's a big subject, I'll get into it later. Suffice to say I've been learning Mandarin and reading up on Chinese culture and history.

The third thing is the absence of any defined roles anymore. I'm not a student. So what am I? Well, I don't know yet. I'll have to make my own identity. I've been trying my hand at some more serious writing lately and I've submitted a short story I wrote to an online magazine, let's see if it gets accepted.

These days I spend my time reading, watching movies, trying to write, or looking for new stuff. Also, most promisingly, I've been jamming with a friend I met on Reddit, with whom it looks like I'll be recording an album. As of now, there's a song already recorded, there's more to follow later. Maybe this can sustain me for a few months. My Chinese learning has been derailed for now thanks to a weak regimen, but I'm looking forward to enrolling in formal classes so that I can take an exam.

These three months have had almost as much change as the previous 6 - 9 months before them, but yet it all seems so natural that I can't even identify them to write them down. I've grown into these changes so much that they seem like an old part of me. Odd, isn't it?

Well, the summer's over. The dreaded Southern Indian monsoon is here.



No comments:

Post a Comment