Tuesday 8 April 2014

Of Corporation Roads.

As always, the road seemed to go on forever when I stared down it. Onwards and onwards, my view of it blurred by the dust thrown up around it.

To where? Did it stop at Vellore? At Bangalore? At Belgaum? At Kolhapur? Or was where I was standing in Chennai its final destination?

I could've asked around, but the fact is, you'll get different answers from everyone you ask. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

"It goes all the way to Kashmir!", said an auto driver, probably in jest. "Delhi." said a kid. "Marina Beach.", said the bus conductor. "Trichy.", answered another. Aah, which one to choose?

As I weighed each answer, I watched the bikes, autos and cars go up and down the road, on either side.

I asked the guy at the tea stall for his opinion, after ordering a cup of tea. "Who knows, I just arrived from Kerala...", he murmured, stirring the tea.

I asked the kid serving biryani at the nearby store, as I sipped the tea.

"Half, for 90 Rupees!"

As good an answer as any.


1 comment: