Saturday 1 March 2014

English in Africa

This is gonna be a short post, where I put up a link I found online and don't say more than a paragraph about it.

I think it's interesting that in many African countries, English has become so prominent, both officially and colloquially. However, outside Africa, I'm yet to encounter any media/cultural stuff in African English, beyond music (even that stuff is a bit niche/not as well known). Maybe, along with Indian English, African English will become more prominent in the Anglosphere - part of a sorta 'third wave English', as I call it (The 'first wave' being British, second and current being American). I can already feel a distinct and more cohesive Indian English identity, language and feel. It's got media, songs, and even movie bits in it now. It can only get better. I'm assuming it's something similar with African English as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment