Friday 20 December 2013

Language Progress #1

Progress in language learning as of today

  • Spanish : At a respectable level of fluency. Need to practice it a bit more so that I keep in touch with it. I'll be getting a copy of Cortazar's Rayuela (Hopscotch in English) from a friend, so that'll help out a lot. Not found many Spanish language partners on italki so that's not an option. Still stuck with just indicative tenses. Need to work on conditional tenses a bit. At a post A2/mid B1 level. Comfortable enough for now.
  • Portuguese : Improving thanks to some practice on italki, and some study. Sometimes, getting it mixed with Spanish, but thankfully not too much. Listening to Brazilian music for practice. I've got this one movie, in European Portuguese to help me get accustomed to it. Since I'm learning the Brazilian variety, whatever I know is pretty informal. That's fine though. At probably a mid A1 level at the moment. Learning slowly, but very steadily. Knowing Spanish helps greatly. Love the rhythm of this language! Need to practice more. Focusing on this for now.
  • Japanese : Practicing Kanji for now on memrise. Getting them stored in memory with repetitions, though, only the symbols and their meanings, not the readings. Still nowhere near ready for an exam, but this way I won't have to focus too much on worrying about kanji and their meanings. Keeping this aside.
  • Persian : Not really focusing on this too much. Getting to know some words through Urdu, that's about it. Keeping this aside.
  • Russian : I read up on this when I'm bored/tired of Spanish/Portuguese. I know just the very basics thanks to memrise. The more I do, the more I feel that this is a really classy language, more so than French! Would really like to study this in the future, due to its difficulty can't focus too much on it now. Just been practicing my Cyrillic again, and learning some very basic words, and doing reading practice. Keeping this aside.
  • Urdu : Getting some reading practice done from the local library, and from this site that I found just yesterday. All in all though, I still find Urdu extremely alien because of all the Persianate/Islam culture it was born in and the Perso-Arabic vocab. Reading about its history, I can see why it was such a big deal, because now, it's pretty useless, except maybe in Hyderabad. Most Urdu speakers (in India) can read Devanagari anyway, and official stuff is in proper Hindi... So proper Urdu's (with Nastaliq and all that) use is confined to Muslim neighborhoods/cities, and by definition it's an exclusive community language nowadays which adds to its disuse. I'm not distressed about that though. That's something for another post. I'm learning this for the literature/poetry it has/had. Late beginner level, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment