Friday 7 December 2012

Downbeat Bass Blues~

So I'd been feeling down for the past week or two. It was a weird sorta low. It wasn't an angry sorta low, but rather a frustrated, pensive low. I was seeking release and couldn't find any.

Then, I thought I'd listen to some music to help as usual. The usual stuff I listen to when I feel low didn't work this time because it was a different kind of low. I still craved release though. I thought about what I was feeling for a long long time. And it hit me what type of music I needed - Frustrated, spacey music.

I immediately put on some Yellow Magic Orchestra and Porcupine Tree.

The Porcupine Tree stuff in particular felt amazing. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I was listening to their old albums, like Stupid Dream, Signify, Up the Downstair and some others. The music was perfect for what I was feeling that time, though I'm not surprised, I'm pretty sure Wilson wrote most of those albums while in periods such as these!

An example :


So, I listened and took all the music in and let all the feelings be acknowledged, and in that moment, they weakened and dissolved. Finally could move on.

Ironic, as just the past month I had been listening to Porcupine Tree and I didn't feel much of a connect, and I was wondering why. I had been listening them to ages, but for the past half a year or so PT had stopped making a deeper connect/impact on me. I was thinking maybe I had heard too much of their stuff, grown out of it (if it's even possible to grow out of this sorta music), moved on, etc, but it didn't seem that was it.

Steven Wilson. Just what my iPod's shuffle ordered!

No comments:

Post a Comment